You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Canaletto’ tag.
You are invited to come down and celebrate Global Zinfandel Day this Friday. From 4pm we’ll have two sample bottles open to showcase this grape varietal.
One will be a Californian Zin from Cline Cellars and the other will be Canaletto Primitivo. It was long thought that Zinfandel was indigenous to California but genetic testing has proved that it is the same grape as Italian Primitivo that is grown mainly in the Puglia region (the heel of Italy).
In the spirit of a “Global” celebration, we invite you to compare wines from the two regions most associated with this varietal.
UPDATE 16 May: We have received 1 case each of Burrowing Owl Chardonnay, Merlot & Syrah. First time we’ve been able to get this. Supply is always tight on their wines so shop early.
Here is a bit of a recap about wines we have brought in mostly for the first time over the past few weeks. Most of these wines have been selected by Paul from trade tastings.
- Decero: Petit Verdot; Cabernet Sauvignon; Malbec – This winery was Paul’s star of the Wines of Argentina trade tasting last Fall. All three now available and super quality
- Mitolo Savitar ’06 Shiraz – this is one for the cellar. Buy and put away for 3+ years.
- Black Widow Winery Hourglass – cabernet/merlot blend – tasted Summer ’09
- 8th Generation Pinot Meunier Rosé – restock for this Spring. if you did not try this last year, don’t miss out this year.
- Also, coming shortly: Burrowing Owl, Dirty Laundry, Quails Gate, Road 13 and a restock of Joie Farm (finally)
- Luis Felipe Edwards Gran Reserva: Malbec; Sauvignon Blanc; Chardonnay -tasted these a few weeks ago. Excellent value.
- Terranoble Reserva Merlot – Tasted march 2010. I’d argue this is one of the best merlot wines in the store. Highly recommended
- Clos du Chapitre, Viré-Clessé – very good value Burgundy chardonnay – tasted in February
- Gres St Paul ‘Romanis’ – Grenache/Syrah blend from Langudeoc . Tasted March 2010. I had an older vintage from my cellar a few weeks back – excellent.
- Domaine des Amouriers Vacqueyras – Cote du Rhone from a well-known village. Very good value.
- Sacchetto Pinot Rosa – sparkling rosé from NE Italy. We had this in stock last year and it’s back for the summer. One of my favourites.
- Canaletto Primitivo – tasted January. Super value for anyone who likes Zinfandel. I like this wine.
- Laird Family Estate Cold Creek Pinot Grigio – run, don’t walk, and get this while you can. We may be the only store in BC with this wine. Loved it at the 2009 California Wine Fair, retasted again in April and sampled in store as well.
- Domaine Carneros Rosé – Everyone needs a little pink champagne now and again. This is France’s Taittinger’s US label. Fabulous bubbly – tasted January 2010
- Frontier Red – neat blend of lots of different grapes. Rich & robust California red – tasted April 2010
- Red Truck – California red blend – customer request
- Little Black Dress – California merlot – customer request
- J. Lohr Riverstone Chardonnay – customer request