You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘wine tasting’ tag.
This calendar takes us through to September. Please remember that it can change. Our email list receives a reminder so please feel free to drop your email address off at the store.
All tastings are 3pm to 6pm unless noted.
- June 27 Friday – “Wines of Gabriel Meffre” hosted by Greg Pollard of Diamond Wines
- July 4 Friday – Hosted by Annette Goliath of Grady Wines
- July 5 Saturday – Meet the Cidery – Seacider hosted by Sara Park of Seacider on Vancouver Island
Steamship Days July 11-13
- July 11 Friday – Hosted by Liza McCauley, Delf Group
- July 12 Saturday – Meet the Brewery, Howe Sound Brewing
- July 18 Friday – “The Italian Job” racy Italian wines at a steal for value. Hosted by Burrows Luongo importers
- August 1 Friday – Hosted by Thea Cuevas, Constellation Brands
August 8-9 Fri-Sat – BIBWC Annual BC Wine Festival
- August 8 Friday – BC wine sampling hosted by Paul Rickett
- August 9 Saturday – Meet the Winery, Tim Martiniuk, GM of Stoneboat. Community Sponsor – BIAC
- August 15 Friday – Hosted by Select Wines
- August 22 Friday – Hosted by Selwyn Rawstron, Empson (think NZ P. Noir and Sauvignon Blanc)
- Sept 12 Friday – Meet the Winery, Sandra Oldfield, CEO Tinhorn Creek 20th Anniversary tasting
- September 18 Thursday. Bowen Children’s Centre Fundraiser 1st Annual Wine Fair, Lodge at Old Dorm. Tickets available via BCC and BIBWC. We aim to have over 60 wines for tasting at this event.
We have an action-packed tasting schedule in the works for the next few months and expect to add more as we go along. This year I have invited the wineries, importers and distributors to come in and open some their wines that we carry for tasting. The name attached to the date is the agency. We’ll generally decide on the specific products to be tasted nearer the time.
We will send email alerts to our mailing lists too and post notices of upcoming events on Twitter and Facebook. If you are not on either our beer or wine mailing list please drop your name and email address in at the store or email me at email@example.com so we can add you.
Dates and presenters are subject to confirmation nearer time
Tastings (3pm to 6:30pm in-store unless noted)
• March 14 Friday – Constellation -(4 BC VQA wines)
• March 15 Saturday – Central City Brewing (Red Racer beer and Betty’s coolers)
• March 28 Friday – Authentic (Cono Sur wines)
• April 17 Thursday – Delf (Easter weekend) – (import wines)
• April 25 Friday – Renaissance (import wines)
• May 2 Friday – International Cellars (imported wines)
• May 9 Friday – Liberty (imported wines plus at least one BC wine)
• May 24 Saturday – Averill Creek, Meet the owner, Andy Johnson #BCwine
• June 6 Friday – Appellation (likely mainly BC wines)
• TBD June Saturday – Central City Brewing (Red Racer Summer Edition)
• June 20 Friday – Select (import wines)
• June 21 Saturday – Seacider (Cider from Victoria)
• July 4 Friday – Grady (import wines)
• July 11 Friday – Delf (import wines)
• August 1 Friday – Constellation (import and BC wines)
We have commitments from 2 more agencies to come in plus a couple of BC wineries (including a return date with Tinhorn Creek’s Sandra Oldfield). In addition working on setting up a Mead tasting with the Tugwell Creek rep.
Where: In-Store at Bowen Beer and Wine Cellar
Friday 17.8 – 3pm to 6pm+
Saturday 18.8 – 1pm to 5pm+
Sunday 19.8 – 1pm to 5pm+
Our annual BC Wine showcase is our biggest tasting event of the year. 3 days of sampling BC wines this Friday to Sunday in conjunction with BowFEAST eat/drink locally.
Start and end times are above but we often have wine left so don’t be afraid to drop in after the official end time.
This event will feature 15+ BC wines over the weekend. Each day we’ll have at least 5 different wines open to taste. As befits the season, the emphasis is on white wines but there will be at least one red each day too. Since we received outstanding support from our winery partners we will also be doing a red wine focused BC wine tasting early in September.
Our feature wineries this year are:-
Both Fort Berens and Perseus are relatively new wineries and this is the first year we have carried their wines. Fort Berens is based in Lillooet, a new wine growing area for BC.
Hope you can join us for a fun event.
Where: Bowen Island Beer and Wine Cellar, 103-996 Dorman Road, Bowen Island (604) 947-2729
When: Saturday June 9, 2012 1-5pm
Hard to believe we’ve been open in the new store for a whole year but here we are. Thanks to everyone on and off Bowen Island who have supported us in the new location. To celebrate our first Anniverary we are offering a complementary tasting of Oyster Bay Wines including both their sparkling wines.
Oyster Bay is the most popular New Zealand wine in Canada.
Look forward to seeing you here.
P.S. From June 9 through June 30 we are offering a 5% discount on purchases of 6 bottles of wine. And of course you still get 10% on cases of 12+
Saturday May 19: 1-5pm
Bowen Island beer and Wine Cellar, 103-996 Dorman Road (under the Ruddy Potato)
Chenin Blanc is one of the under-appreciated white grapes. It can be made into stellar dry white table wines, delectable sweet wines and smashing sparklers. Its spiritual roots are in France’s Loire Valley where it has been grown for nearly a 1,000 years.
This tasting will focus on table wines suitable for a long and, hopefully, hot weekend on the patio or deck. Expect a line up of quality wines, including a couple of Chenin blends, from BC, France, California, and South Africa. Working on adding a sparkling Chenin into the set as well.
Thursday 1 September is International Cabernet Day. Around the world, people will be opening up Cabernet based wines (Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and blends with Cabernet grapes like Bordeaux) in celebration and comparing notes over different social media platforms.
We are going to open two Cabernet Sauvignons for an EVENING tasting starting at 5pm until late so drop in on the way home from work to join in the celebration. We’ll be live tweeting from the store with a screen up for you to see what the rest of the world is tasting too.
Cab 1 will be the best selling Cabernet in BC – J. Lohr 7 Hills from California
Cab 2 will be a new import from Chile from Vina Arboleda. This is a new winery owned by Eduardo Chadwick, the master winemaker behind the very well regarded Errazuriz winery.
Look forward to seeing you all
Please join us this #BowFEAST weekend to celebrate eating and drinking locally. This is our 4th annual BC wine fest featuring FREE samples of great BC wines. Wines will be poured over 3 days starting Friday at 2pm.
Tasting session times:
Saturday 1pm – 5pm
Sunday 1pm to 5pm
On Saturday shop the #BowFEAST Farmers market from 9am to Noon. Have a nice lunch in the Cove, then mosey up to our new store on Dorman Road under the Ruddy Potato and taste some great BC wines to go with your fresh, local food for dinner.
While we end formal tasting at 6pm, if we have wine left you are welcome to come in later and try what’s still open
Big line up this year with totally different wines each day:
Participating Wineries and wines. Tasting order is yet to be determined but over the 3 days we’ll be opening wines from among the following:
The View – Frizzante, Gewurztraminer, Pinotage
Quails Gate – Rosé, Chenin Blanc
Tinhorn Creek – Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay
Stoneboat – Pinotage, Pinot Gris
Ganton & Larsen Prospect winery – Sauvignon Blanc, Unoaked Chardonnay
Lake Breeze – Pinot Blanc, Meritage
Dirty Laundry – Gewurztraminer, Merlot
Hester Creek – Cabernet/Merlot blend
Black Cloud – Pinot Noir
Tantalus – Riesling
8th Generation – Sauvignon Blanc
Blasted Church – Hatfields Fuse (white blend)
Fairview Cellars – 2 Hoots
Plus on Saturday ONLY – Red Roof Okanagan cider
To celebrate our new location, please join us on Saturday June 11 between 1pm and 5:30pm to sample sparkling wine from BC, Spain and Italy.
With our expanded store opening we will have:
- Much larger selection of beers, ciders and coolers including Budweiser 8 pack cans on special at LDB price (while stocks last), upgraded selection of BC craft beers and ciders
- New wines from BC and around the world plus wine specials at $9.47, $19.47 and $29.47
- Expanded spirits section with all the necessaries for the “Cocktail Cabinet”
Lots of events being scheduled too in over the summer including:
- Wine and Indian Food with Qui Café
- Sherry tasting
- Port & Chocolate with Cocoa West
- Riedel glassware – taste the difference between Riedel and other glassware
- BC wine fest (August in conjunction with BowFeast)
- Unusual Grapes #3
- Howe Sound Brewing beer tasting
- … and more
Hope we’ll see all our regulars and lots of new friends too.
Malbec is the HOT varietal in red wine. Taste Malbecs from Argentina, Australia and Chile.
Last year’s Malbec tasting was a blind tasting of two Argentinian and one French, we all had a great time and the Argentinian’s came out on top – so let’s see if Australia or Chile can take the crown this year.
If you follow me on twitter you’ll know that I’ve been having fun voting for Riesling in the great #marcmad wine vote-off. Riesling emerged as the winner of the white wine category and is in the final today against Pinot Noir. To celebrate (and to compensate you for the volume of tweets) I’ll open a bottle of Riesling for tasting Friday 8th April between 3 and 6pm and all Rieslings are 10% off all day.